This course will provide a good understanding of how to plan and build a business or home computer network that will connect to the Internet.
With the changes forced upon us due to COVID-19, good network design and implementation has never been more important.
The course has been structured to be delivered in a modular format to meet the needs of the target audience. It has a mixture of theory and practical activities built into the sessions. The course gives the student real world experience and confidence in planning their network .
1. Network Concepts
- Internet overview
- Network concepts and design.
- NBN types
- Role of the Retail Service Provider.
2. Modem , Switch and Router explained
- What is a Modem
- What is a Router
- What is a Switch
- Multi-function network devices versus dedicated units
- MAC Addresses
- IP 4 address classes (A,B.C)
- IP 4 network, gateway, protocols
- LAN / WAN differences
3. Wireless Networking
- Wi-Fi protocol (1 – 6)
- 2.4 / 5 Ghz
- Design and planning considerations
4. VOIP, Video Streaming and Remote Access
- Virtual Private Network (VPN) Client / Server
- Voice over IP (VOIP)
- Video Streaming
- Firewall, Port Forwarding and Filtering
- Remote Access
5. Planning a small to medium network
- IP Addressing schemes and segmentation
- Static versus DHCP IP Addressing
- VLAN setup
- Local Hosting
- Cloud Access
6. Review or Advance Topics
- Internet of Things (Smart IP Systems)
- Network design exercise
- Course review